Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Katakana Analysis

レムネ Ramune
ピンポンピンポーン Pinponpinpooon.

I feel like while hiragana is a stricter system with particular rules, katakana is used almost haphazardly for everything else, and many textbooks have different variations of katakana rules because there is no set definition.
The first term, ラムネ、I thought it was just a name for a very delicious japanese soda. Or maybe, I thought, it wasn't Japanese since the name was in カタカナ. But さとうせんせい enlightened me to the fact that ラムネis a perpetuation of the word Lemonade, Lemonade eventually became Ramune or ラムネ。 Which is funny, because I think the soda tastes like bubblegum.
As for ピンポーン、I used to read a lot of manga and I remember not understanding what the little leftover symbols were for. Now I see that they're little onomatopoeias, kind of like KA-POW in American comics. In this case the ピンポンピンポーンwas the sound of a doorbell repetitively ringing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ジェシカさん、

I actuallly had the same reaction (also very recently!) when I learnt the origin of the word: ラムネ. It does not taste like lemonade at all!

But I also thought that these old-fashioned borrowed words from English sometimes have fairly good representations of the original English sounds. For example, imagine if a Japanese person who doesn't know English at all heard a word "lemonade" coming out of a mouth of an American person (pronouncing it very quickly), it sure does sound like "ラムネ!". Don't you think??

As for ピンポーン, I think it is a good onomatopoeia for the Japanese doorbells, but probably not for regular American ones... did you have a hard time figuring it out?

M.N.

seerenigma said...

はじめまして、なまえはJulioです。コロンビアだいがくのさんねんせいです。
I agree, katakana seems to just be used for all kinds of special cases and exceptions.
I didn't know ラムネ came from lemonade...I wonder if there's a lemon flavored one that was the original?
ピンポン,believe it or not, is also used to denote that someone is correct. Like on a trivia show when they sound a bell when someone gives the correct answer. My sensei made the sound after I answered a question in class once and I was royally confused at the time.

NOZOMI said...

はじめまして。My name is NOZOMI KUGA.
I'm a Japanese university student. I go to Bunkyo University now.

I read your Katakana Analysis, and I think, it's very interesting!Katakana normally express onomatopoeias and loan words. But sometime we use Katakana deliberately when we want to say more friendly.

villagejin_ian said...

I agree with you Jessicaさん, there are no real 'rules' for using カタカナ but there does seem to be a pattern of usage relating to onomatopoeia and loanwords. I guess as we become more and more able to read Japanese written-work, we will learn more about its usage.

ーイアン

Hien said...

どこでラムネをかいますか?interesting flavor ...
レムネ, maybe, but i probably wouldn't have guessed ラムネ=lemonade. it's good to know, though! i love saying the katakana words over and over until they make sense.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0